Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Day 5, Sunday March 6, Asilah

We went to Asilah,  50 km  south of Tangier. It is a  fortified town on the northwest tip of the Atlantic coast of Morocco.
Its ramparts and gateworks remain fully intact. Its history dates back to 1500 B.C., when the Phoenicians used it as a base for trade. Greeks and Romans inhabited it.  The Portuguese conquered the city in 1471, but  later decided to abandon it because of an economic crisis in 1549. In 1692, the town was taken by the Moroccans. From 1912-1956 it was part of Spain. It is now a popular seaside resort, with sandy beaches, nice architecture, artists, white houses with blue . It hosts annual music and arts festivals, including a  Murales  painting festival: the best paintings remain on the Medina walls for the following years.

[
Here are my friends walking


It was cold in March


Nobody was swimming


People were playing soccer in the beach

I wish you could  be here


This poster  reminded me of Princeton
I took this picture for My son, he likes Einstein



A modern part of Asilah



The city is white and blue


This is a wall mural 




Doors are so very beautiful all over Morocco

I love this door, the house is for sale











The walls are Portuguese, from the 1400 hundreds



It is really a beautiful city, I wish to go back here



I wanted to buy one of this door knockers




This is the restaurant we had dinner
the place is so beautiful and the food was delicious
fish, tea, appetizers, desert, all for a very reasonable price
about 30 dlls for 4 people.
If you go to Asilah I highly recommend eating in the second floor the seats are very elegant and comfortable




I initially  thought it was a Chinese restaurant but is 100% Moroccan. Before going back to Tangier we went to the
Haman, it was  good experience.
I went again in Marrakesh in the Old Medina. 




No comments:

Post a Comment