Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 14, Tuesday March 15 crossing the Atlas mountains on the way to Marrakesh


After Ait Benhaddou I went back to Ourzazate and took a bus to Marrakesh
I had to cross the Atlas mountains.
When at fist I saw the snow I was like" uh, snow, interesting, pretty, uhhh!"
and then, the bus broke down, it was dark by then and very cold and the worst part it was snowing and the road  was really slippery.
OH God I was scary!
The passengers remained in the bus waiting for the driver and his assistant
to fix the bus. The asked me for my flashlight to see the motor.
After a while I  thought we will be either on the bus until next day and spend the night in the cold with no heat or the driver would try to drive with the mechanical
problem, the stick shift did not work and since the road was so slippery the chances of having an accident were great.
So I decided to leave the bus and ask for help, it was cold and snowing and I was not dressed for the weather,  I was shivering but I waited outside of the bus for what it felt like along time in the middle of the road waiting for a car to come. When I car came I made them signal to stop I explained what happened and they took me to Marrakesh. I felt bad because I left the bus driver without my flashlight.
I was still scared riding on those roads during a snow storm, but the driver of the car was not at least scared. There were two friends going to Essauira on business.
They were nice and they stopped at the next town to eat.

Here you can see gradually the snow is increasing, first is only in the top of the mountains and then is covering the ground, soon all is dark and the snow becomes a snowstorm. I could not take more pictures because it was dark.
When we stopped to eat, we had the best tagine I ever had, the first town  coming down from the mountains serves excellent food. They even have hot water in their bathrooms, at fist I did not know why they will give you a bucket of warm water
when you pay to go to the bathroom. It is so cold that they have to have hot water.
I imagine how it is in real winter, this is March, past the heavy months of winter. The road must be closed when there is much snow. Nobody plows or puts any salt on the road.









No comments:

Post a Comment