Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 15, Wednesday March 16 Marrakesh

BADI PALACE
Finally I arrived during the night of Tuesday to Marrakesh, all in one piece.
What a relief!
On Wednesday I visited 2 palaces, badi and Bahia, Marjorelle Garden and the big famous plaza Djemaa el Fna  in Marrakesh.

The fist palace is on ruins it is called Badi Palace, the "Incomparable", that is what Badi means, it dates from  1578, it was commissioned by sultan Ahmed el Mansour and Moulay Ismail a successor, stripped the  palace and brought the marble and all the things to a new place he built in Meknes. These sultans, did not want to live in the palace someone else before them built, they built their own but recycled the materials from  the one already built. Such a pity, it seems like a sacrilege to destroy something so beautiful.



The Badi Palace it is  built with Pise walls. Pise means  Pneumatically Impacted Stabilized Earth Walls, It is made of earth, the holes were for  the sticks to hold the wall during construction. It  is very durable, provides weather and sound insulation, is good for the environment and cheap but needs a lot of labor to built it.  They built it having temporary wood walls connected with sticks and in the middle they poured the mud. The wood walls are removed after the mud dries,  but the holes where  the sticks were positioned remain.




There are storks nesting on the top of these walls

 The gardens were sunken



this is a section that is in good condition

there were pools and gardens







BAHIA PALACE
I then visited Bahia Palace, it means "Brilliance" it is in very good condition, built in 1866. It has been restored to its original splendor. The royal family still uses it during the winter when they visit Marrakesh and no visitors are allowed during that time.







Ceilings













Ceiling









Garden at Bahia Palace


MARJORELLE GARDENS
From Bahia palace I took a cab to Marjorelle Gardens, it is a 12 acre botanical garden created in 1920's and 1930's by Jacques Marjorelle and bought by Yves St Laurent, there are many cactus, bamboos, lily pools, pots with plants painted in very bright colors and the building is also painted in very bright color. It is a beautiful place like no other place. Ah, and the birds!
When I left the taxi wanted to charge me 30 DH, what it normally would cost 10 DH. They think only tourists will come here and they must have money.




 Great cactus







 This house is in bright blue





Planters are yellow contrasting with the blue walls



There is a fountain











































I thought,  I would love to live in a place like this 































DJEMAA EL FNA
After visiting the garden I went to Plaza Djemaa el Fna ,
it makes me hungry just to think about this place with so much food.
I had the  idea of this Plaza to be  more customer friendly but it  was
just  a big business I wanted to listen  to music and I was asked to pay, I did,
as the musicians were good, I also was asked to pay to see the sneak charmer and so forth.
I had on my flip the music.




Do you want some spiced tea?

                                          And pastries




 Lets have some dinner





 How about some fresh orange juice?


 The music had a nice rhythm
you can listen to it
I recorded it with my Flip 





Lighting is done with gas lamps

Here is the video with the musicians

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQvJqJGtTK8

No comments:

Post a Comment